The Monadnock Folklore Society presents the January First Saturday contra dance in the historic Peterborough Town House in Peterborough, NH at 1 Grove Street.
Ben Sachs-Hamilton will be calling with music from Crossover trio: Len Bittenson – fiddle, viola, recorders; Alex Cumming – accordion and keyboard; Carol Bittenson – fiddle.
– The dancing begins at 8:00 PM
– Workshop for new dancers at 7:30 PM
– Admission is sliding scale $12-20. $30 family, or pay what you can.
– Gender-free roles will be used for this evening, Larks and Robins
– This is a mask-optional event.
Contra dance is a fun, relaxed style of folk dance that has flourished in New England since the 1700s.
Partners form lines and dance a short sequence of steps with their neighbors.
Dancers are welcome to bring a partner or a group of friends, but it’s not necessary – traditionally, dancers are encouraged to change partners throughout the evening.
For more information call 603.547.5831.
The Monadnock Folklore Society has presented contra dances and concerts of traditional music since 1982.