With a 79% majority vote, the Town Hall Renovation Budget ($305,900) was approved at the Nelson Town Meeting on Tuesday, March 11th. While the majority of the renovation is funded from Town reserves, a local fund-raising effort raised $80,000 towards the Town Hall work. These donations were essential to the passage of this budget at Town Meeting and the Monadnock Folklore Society is grateful to all who contributed.
During the renovation, the Monday Night Dance will move to the Peterborough Community Center at 25 Elm Street on Monday, May 5th, and then will move to Heberton Hall in Keene on Monday, June 9th. We expect to return to the Nelson Hall by mid-August.
The work to be done on the Town Hall includes the following scope:
- Separate the structure from the Connector Building.
- Elevate the structure above its foundation.
- Remove the rubble foundation.
- Pour new concrete foundation.
- Reinstall granite capstones.
- Install drainage systems both inside and outside of new concrete walls.
- Pour concrete footings for posts and pour new concrete floor.
- Remove exterior siding from East wall.
- Straighten walls and level floor to best achievable plumb and level.
- Re-sheath East wall with OSB and reinstall siding.
- Reinforce roof bearing posts with steel channel iron or wood.
- Reinforce floor with additional wood timbers and floor joists.
- Reinforce roof trusses with additional framing members.
- Renovate window sash and front door using funds from a Moose Plate Grant.
- Remove furnace from Storage Room in Town Hall.
- Relocate furnace from Storage Room to Library Furnace Room.
- Install duct work for heating or introduction of ambient air for ventilation.
- Install fan and floor registers to bring heated or ambient air into the Town Hall.